Smoking in Indiana
– About 1 in 5 Indiana Adults (21.1%) were current smokers in 2018.
– Smoking takes the lives of approximately 11,100 Hoosier a year.
– In 2018, Indiana had the 4th highest smoking prevalence rate.
– The U.S. Surgeon General has stated that e-cigarettes aerosol is NOT harmless “water vapor”.
– In addition to nicotine, most e-cigarettes contain other potentially toxic substances.
– E-cigarettes are the most commonly used tobacco product among Hoosier youth.
– E-cigarettes are NOT FDA approved cessation aids.
For More Quick Facts Click the Resources Below
Tips to Quit Tobacco/Vaping:
– Make a quit plan and know your triggers. The Indiana Quitline, 1-800-Quit-Now, will connect you to a quit coach who can help you with your plan.
– Getting help through nicotine replacement therapies, such as patches, gums, and lozenges, greatly increases your chances of success. Always consult your doctor before using products.
– Having a craving? Delay! If you feel like you’re going to give in to a craving, tell yourself that you have to wait 10 more minutes and then do something to distract yourself. Most cravings only last a couple of minutes. Stock up on oral substitutes – sugarless gum, carrot sticks, hard candy, cinnamon sticks, coffee stirrers, straws, and toothpicks – to distract your hands/mouth.
– Get active! Start being active at least 2 weeks before your quit date. It will help relieve any stress you’re going through and can help prevent weight gain. By quitting, you will start feeling better, looking better, and breathing easier.
– If you slip up, that’s okay. It takes most people multiple times to quit successfully. Each quit attempt can provide valuable lessons to help you eventually quit for good. Remember it is never too late to quit!